One intro activity that I like is involving participants in a sample web
project on GitHub. I got the idea from OpenHatch after mentoring at one of
their workshops - and I’ve since repeated a variant in class with my own
students.

Here’s an example repo from an OpenHatch workshop:
https://github.com/princeton-8/princeton-8.github.io
It uses GitHub Pages<https://pages.github.com/>, which updates an associated
site<http://princeton-8.github.io/princeton-8.github.io/> as pull requests are
accepted.

I like that students first see the local changes on their computers as they
make them - then later the evolving live version as their code is merged with
their classmates. The workflow is for students to claim an issue, work on it,
submit a pull request, and then the maintainer responds to those. The
maintainer could be you as an instructor, or some of your more advanced
participants. I like that such an activity can be customized, both for the
theme of an event and for various levels of experience. (You could provide a
more complicated base project to begin with and/or supply a broader range of
issues.)

        Emily

On Oct 14, 2017, at 3:04 PM, Carol Willing