Ok, a further discovery. If I don't have the nearby scope favourited
then reboot. Opening the nearby scope from the Dash Manager works
perfectly. If I tap back then open it again though, I get only the
weather and wiki articles again.

So looks like one issue uncovered is that location data is not available
when this scope starts up on boot. Race between location data becoming
available and the scope requesting it perhaps?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  Nearby and News scope do not load on reboot

Status in The Savilerow project:
  Confirmed
Status in QML plugin for Scopes:
  New
Status in “unity-scopes-api” package in Ubuntu:

  reporduce:
  1- favourite nearby and/or news
  2- reboot the phone
  3 - unlock and swipe to nearby/news

  result:
  Scope is blank, not even departments are loaded in nearby

  expected result:
  scope load, to see what they look like, search for something and then cancel
search. This triggers a refresh and the scopes then load ok.