I just reproduced this on My Photos scope. Starting and not completing a
search caused it to start loading.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  Nearby and News scope do not load on reboot

Status in The Savilerow project:
  Confirmed
Status in QML plugin for Scopes:
  New
Status in “unity-scopes-api” package in Ubuntu:

  reporduce:
  1- favourite nearby and/or news
  2- reboot the phone
  3 - unlock and swipe to nearby/news

  result:
  Scope is blank, not even departments are loaded in nearby

  expected result:
  scope load, to see what they look like, search for something and then cancel
search. This triggers a refresh and the scopes then load ok.