The broken font is only visible (at least for me) when using v35 of the
truetype interpreter i.e. FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-
version=35" in the environment (required for horizontal hinting i.e.
non-blurry fonts). (EDIT: also requires hinting to be medium or full,
looks to be fine with slight or none.)  With the default interpreter
(v40) it looks fine.

And the problem is in the font package itself: installing package fonts-
dejavu-extra from Focal fixes the font also for v35. If the font itself
has not changed from Focal to Jammy, then the problem might be in the
build system (fontforge?).

** Changed in: fonts-dejavu (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fonts-dejavu in Ubuntu.

  DejaVu Serif Italic capital letters and digits broken

Status in fonts-dejavu package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-font-viewer package in Ubuntu:

  After updating from Focal to Jammy, I noticed that DejaVu Serif Italic
  looks quite broken. At least the letters EFHKLMNT and the digits 1 and
  4 are affected

  Please see the attached screenshot. This was obtained from `gnome-
  font-viewer /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf`

  As the font is the default for me in Firefox, it's quite noticeable.

  $ dpkg -l gnome-font-viewer fonts-dejavu-extra