Looking into this again, I found that I had the following line in
/etc/environment:

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35 cff:no-stem-
darkening=1 autofitter:warping=1"

I can't remember why I set this, probably some hinting issues in an old Xubuntu
version.
Removing it causes v40 of the interpreter to be used, fixing the broken letters.

The font is obviously broken when used with v35, but few people are
going to notice unless they're as clumsy as me, so you may want to close
the ticket.

I also found out that `ftview` from the freetype2-demos package is great
for investigating these issues, as it lets you cycle through all the
relevant settings.

Thanks for your help and apologies for not realising that I had a non-
standard setup.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fonts-dejavu in Ubuntu.

  DejaVu Serif Italic capital letters and digits broken

Status in fontforge package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in fonts-dejavu package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-font-viewer package in Ubuntu:

  After updating from Focal to Jammy, I noticed that DejaVu Serif Italic
  looks quite broken. At least the letters EFHKLMNT and the digits 1 and
  4 are affected

  Please see the attached screenshot. This was obtained from `gnome-
  font-viewer /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf`

  As the font is the default for me in Firefox, it's quite noticeable.

  $ dpkg -l gnome-font-viewer fonts-dejavu-extra