I'd rather strongly recommend against changing the fundamental database
design; I think that if you take that road then you will find yourself
playing whack-a-mole with conflicting requirements.  Instead, my
suggestion would be to arrange for "click hook run-system-hooks" to
garbage-collect user registrations in the overlay database that have
been superseded by versions in a lower database; that way it's still
possible for somebody to temporarily revert a package for testing, but
an OTA update would pull them back to the latest version.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to click in Ubuntu.

  OTA update: lower user click not updated by custom tarball higher
  click

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in click package in Ubuntu:

  A user in the field has OTA5 installed. But one click in OTA 5
  (com.canonical.scopes.fbphotos_fbphotos 1.26) did not get updated and
  is at the pre OTA5 version: 1.24.

  Expectations: if OTA custom tarball has a higher version click package
  than the user's, that higher click package is installed.