dsclar wrote:
> Well I'd have to respectfully disagree.  I can surely hear the
> difference between mp3's and flacs in my Lexus with the Levinson sound
> system.  Of course XM radio sounds even worse than many mp3's but I can
> surely hear all the processing they're doing. If you can't hear the
> difference I guess that's good for you.

I can't believe that anyone can tell the difference when the car is
moving. Stopped, with a great system, sure.

I'm not talking MP3s at 64kb, but 350kb and higher MP3 or better Ogg
don't lose much.

Sure there is processing, but its about the music, and we used to listen
to AM in the car and be moved by the music.

> As for having 4,000 CD's, that's really not all that many.

What percentage to you listen to in any year?

Seriously, its a huge collection.

> I've heard of people that have around 10TB of flac files.

I've never heard of anyone who has legally bought 10 TB of flac files.
Nor can I imagine wanting to listen to 10TB of music

> As for 2,000 sales being a success I'd wish that was the case.  I had a
> CD of one of my old  recordings released in 2003 and it's sold about
> 3,000 copies so far.  I surely don't think of it as a success as it
> didn't even recoup it's meager costs.

I did not say that 2000 copies is going to make money, but if you look
at the long tail, selling 2000 copies is way up the sales curve. A lot
of CDs sell a few hundred.

Even the Dixie Chicks are on record saying that their CD sales don't
make money, and they move a lot of CDs

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/