mpower9 wrote:
> I have seen many reference to static IP addresses, but this is the first
> time I saw a clear description of how to set it up. I still have one
> question. What number do you use for the static IP address.

It depends. Your network, subnetwork, etc will have a range of legal
values. Most Cable/DSL modems provide DHCP service, and you don't have
to care. But if you do, you should look at the values the
modem/router/access point is using, and use one in that range.

Of course, the only safe way to pick on is to use the modem/router's
admin panel, and specify one that it won't use. How you do that depends
on the router/modem.

In general, static IP addresses entered manually is a really bad idea.
That is how the Internet worked for the first years, and if you pick a
duplicate number, things break badly. That is why DHCP was invented.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/