I can confirm that 24/96 AIFF files played natively on the Touch produce
only noise.

Where is it that you're finding the AIFF to FLAC encoding is resampling
the music to 16 bits? On my system if I look at the Now Playing
information on the Touch it indicates '24Bits'.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you need a workaround, or just to be certain that there's no
resampling, you can do this: Create a file called 'custom-convert.conf'
in the same directory as the file named 'convert.conf', containing the
following conversion rule.

Code:
--------------------

  aif flc * *
        # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}
        [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 $START$ $END$ --
$FILE$

This will still encode the file into FLAC, but it won't be resampled.
The potential downside is that if you have any older Squeezebox players
that can't play 24/96 then these 24/96 AIFF files will probably produce
the same sort of noise that you were hearing on the Touch.

--
JJZolx