Sorry to get back so late.  The files I'm playing are vinyl 24/96 vinyl
rips, recorded to flac. So flac is the native file. I convert them to
wav using dBpoweramp. There are no images attached to the files.

I do a lot of comparisons of masterings/pressings so I'm not new to
this. I don't go by volume when comparing. In other words, I don't
perceive louder as better. I sweep the dial up and down when I listen to
each file. So I hear each of them low and loud. A lot of my least
favorite CD and vinyl masterings are actually the LOUDER ones. So I have
learned over the years that LOUD is not necessarily better.

I will do some more comparisons with some of my CD's, and report back.
In this case, my CD's are converted directly to wave, so I'll use two
programs to convert to flac...dBpoweramp and foobar2000.