SB server version is: *7.7.6-112 *and is the latest and only available
from Synology.

My security suite is Kaspersky Total Security 2017 but this has been
running alongside the SB server for a long time. I haven't changed
anything.  In any event the Windows environment doesn't come into this
because the NAS based server (Linux based) connects directly to the SBT
without any interaction with a Windows machine.

Oddly this behaviour is replicated on the mentioned Windows browsers
with the exception of Firefox with a separate installation of the SB
server on my Windows 10 laptop.  Wouldn't this tend to suggest that
something in the SB server has changed?