SB server version is: *7.7.6-112 *and is the latest and only available
from Synology.

Do they show the build date? I bet it's several months old or more.

My security suite is Kaspersky Total Security 2017 but this has been
running alongside the SB server for a long time. I haven't changed
anything.

You did not. But antivirus products change daily, if not more.

Oddly this behaviour is replicated on the mentioned Windows browsers
with the exception of Firefox with a separate installation of the SB
server on my Windows 10 laptop.  Wouldn't this tend to suggest that
something in the SB server has changed?

How could LMS have changed when you didn't update it?

Please try to give the information you've been asked for. It might actually help...

--

Michael