slartibartfast wrote:
> I think the first thing you need to do is connect your server and all
> your Squeezeboxes to your router. Use Ethernet cable for the server and
> either cable or WiFi for the Squeezeboxes.

Aha!

Related questions:

[1] To lessen the chance of malware infecting my audio PC--which does
run LMS--and the music-files hard drive connected to it (and to keep
unexpected alerts, software updates and etc. from possibly interrupting
audio that's playing), I have been connecting my audio PC to my home
network *only when necessary* for Windows updates and such--when I've
wanted to listen to Web radio on that system, I've connected that SBT to
our home network, then disconnected it when finished. Is this going too
far, security-wise and avoiding-audio-interruptions-wise? Does leaving a
computer-based music system connected to the wide wild Internet raise
malware/hacking/security vulnerabilities, and what's your advice for
protecting the system against them?;

[2] Since cabling my bedroom SBT to my audio PC is not practical for me
(it would involve running more than 100 meters of Ethernet cable through
a wall/doorway, past wall-mounted kitchen cabinets in a cosmetically
acceptable way, etc.), my options are "WiFi improvement" and "powerline
adapter". I suspect that extending the WiFi reach of my audio PC via
powerline adapter would be the easiest option--however, I already use a
powerline adapter pair to extend the reach of our existing broadband
network from our bedroom (where our ISP service enters our apartment) to
our living room. Can two powerline-adapter systems be used near each
other, each extending a different WiFi network, without causing
interference problems for those networks? Our apartment has enough
electrical outlets so the adapter boxes would not share outlets.

Having an audio-only WiFi "sub-network" sounds really useful to me (for
instance, I recall reading somewhere that multiple SBTs on one network
can play independent streams at the same time), if I can implement it
without undue expense and physical hassle.

Jerome