Also sorry if this double posts!  The first attempt also seems to not have
worked...

I broke this out into a separate email because otherwise it would be one
huge email that rambled, which I have a tendency to do anyway...

I might try to do this specific example with milestones.  Define a Trac
"milestone" as a merge point in the software, like the one you had two weeks
ago.  Assign the tickets to the "next" milestone in line, and when a merge
point happens, create another milestone and send all unresolved tickets to
that new milestone.  At any given time you can quickly see what tickets have
been closed by milestone.  I wouldn't exactly say that's how I would use the
milestone feature in a perfect world (I like to at least have the pretense
of planning), but it would likely be sufficient if used that way.

Another approach could be to use the version field.  Make set the version
field up to have whatever you want to call the merge points, like the one
you had two weeks ago.  Code name them.  Refer to a build number.  Use a
targeted merge date...whatever.  As you close tickets, set the version to
the merge point next in line when it was closed.  This isn't exactly right
either, as "Version" would typically (I think) be used to designate what
software version the issue was found in, not the version the issue would be
fixed in.  However, that being said, you are free to use it how you like and
define.

A third could be a custom field.  Make a custom field for whatever you want
to call the merge points as said above.  As you close tickets, set the field
to the name of the merge point next in line when it was closed.  This
approach is a little harder because querying based on custom fields is
tough, or so I have read...I've not done it.  I'm fairly confident, as you
pointed out, that if I decided I needed to search custom fields for
something I could find adequate documentation to help me do so, I've just
not had the need.

Hope I was at least a little helpful.

Chad