On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:21:42AM -0400, Chad Emahizer wrote:

> I broke this out into a separate email because otherwise it would be one
> huge email that rambled, which I have a tendency to do anyway...
>
> I might try to do this specific example with milestones.  Define a Trac
> "milestone" as a merge point in the software, like the one you had two weeks
> ago.  Assign the tickets to the "next" milestone in line, and when a merge
> point happens, create another milestone and send all unresolved tickets to
> that new milestone.  At any given time you can quickly see what tickets have
> been closed by milestone.  I wouldn't exactly say that's how I would use the
> milestone feature in a perfect world (I like to at least of the pretense of
> planning), but it would likely work used that way.

<snip/>

As far as how trac is "supposed" to be use with respect to those that want a
program to enforce methodology versus a program to support multiple
methodologies, it seems to me that using milestones is the trac way of doing
what is desired here.  Marking things as milestones is probably a good practice
anyway for this case as it enables a project manager to think of a group of
tickets as a concerted effort instead of the more ad hoc date query.

IMHO,

Jeff Hammel
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org