On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <
roger.oberholt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Ryan Ollos <rjol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The TracUpgrade for 1.3 has been modified to describe using pip, so that
> > should be a better guide:
> > https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/1.3/TracUpgrade
> >
> > Before proceeding, I suggest running "pip install -U pip setuptools
> wheel".
> > Every so often I get an error from that, in which case try separating the
> > upgrade of "pip" from the other two packages:
> > $ pip install -U pip
> > $ pip install -U setuptools wheel
>
> Only setuptools was updated. The others were already up-to-date.
>
> > Then, I would execute "pip uninstall trac" repeatedly until you can a
> "not
> > found" or "not installed" message (I don't recall the exact wording).
> There
> > could be more than one egg or wheel installed. Finally, run "pip install
> > trac" and it should grab the latest, in "wheel" format.
>
> Hmm. The very first uninstall complained that it was not installed. So
> the easy_install must have had a problem. But it did not complain or
> say anything unexpected.
>
> I now remember why I was not using pip. When I run it to install Trac,
> I get this:
>
> # pip install trac
> Collecting trac
>   Downloading Trac-1.2.2.tar.gz (6.2MB)
>     100% |████████████████████████████████| 6.2MB 278kB/s
>     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>     Trac doesn't support Python 3 (yet)
>
>     ----------------------------------------
> Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
> /tmp/pip-build-h83metlt/trac/
>
> On openSUSE, they are trying to support python2 and python3. I see
> that they have set up python to be 2.7, while pip and easy_install are
> set to be for python 3.6. Seems odd.
>
> I tried using the pip for python 2, but that also did not work.

The error message would be helpful. Usually you can use "pip2" in the case
that "pip3" is the default for a platform. The other option is to use the
full path to the pip binary.

> So, I had to do the following:
>
> Be sure to run the easy_install for python 2.7 (not the default).
>
> After that I needed to unzip the egg file into a folder as the Apache
> server and mod_python will not look in the zipped egg file. I forgot
> this last step from the previous upgrade.

If you install as a wheel you definitely won't have to use this workaround,
whatever the cause of it may be. "pip" will install as a wheel by default
when the package is found on pypi, and we publish a wheel for Trac.

> So, pip is not the answer everywhere. Or, at least on openSUSE, not
> until the world moves to python 3

Unlikely that it's "not the answer", you just happen to have found a
workaround using easy_install, but you shouldn't have had to extract the
egg manually. Python 2.7.9+ includes pip, and while you may be experiencing
some issues due to your system configuration, I would still highly suggest
trying to work those out eventually and move to pip + wheel.