Otto J. Makela wrote:
John Pilkington wrote:

Until recently I used only CentOS_5/i686 and saw no noticeable picture corruption. Now I also use fc10/x86_64, and on this system I do see corruption - small transient rectangles - when shrinkage has been applied.

So it seems to me that tcrequant is *not* broken on all platforms and I would not like it to disappear globally unless, of course, there is a reliable and effective alternative.

I've also had my share of problems with tcrequant.

I thought it might be useful to add a note that the download from the company that posted the initial version of this requantiser now has a source date for 'main.c' of January 2008. I'm not confident that I could
rebuild it immediately for my system, but others may not have seen it. It's
GPL. http://metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/modules.html

Compilation on a x86_64 system worked for me (with minor tweaks,
seems they aren't prepared for the system to be anything but a ppc or i386).
It does seem to work!

Yes: I have now briefly compared the 'new' code with tcrequant and it looks as if there are probably changes in the algorithm; certainly much of the code is different. It is, of course, initially for a Mac.

I suspect that the functional part of the 'new' code is essentially the same as that used in vamps, in which it has been given a wrapper intended for dvd shrinkage under linux. I now have that installed under fc10/x86_64 and have so far shrunk one VOB file by a factor of 1.5 without any obvious unwelcome artefacts - or, AFAICT, 'DEMO' features!

http://vamps.sourceforge.net/

John P