I've now figured out one situation where tcrequant (and also M2VRequantiser)
makes a mess of it: when given a m2v extracted from a full mpeg. This happens
to be the format I usually store videos before mastering them to dvd's.

When you take an audio and video file, and combine them into an ersatz "DVD"
mpeg stream with mplex, tcdemux no longer extracts it to the same m2v file
from the mpeg. Neither is tcrequant able to do its magic on it.

mplex -f 9 -o am-dvd.mpg am.m2v am.mp2
tcdemux -i am-dvd.mpg -x mpeg2 | tcrequant -f 1.3 -o am-extracted-requant.m2v

After this, am-extracted-requant.m2v is garbled garbage.

Maybe this is actually some kind of a fault in tcdemux, as even mplex no
longer recognizes the extracted stream as a m2v video stream? By the way, why
doesn't tcdemux have an "-o" option like most of the other tc* utilities?

As before, I've prepared a sample (8MiB) for you at:
        http://www.otto.net/~otto/requant-sample2.tar.gz

I would appreciate someone (who understands the intricacies of video files
better than me) checking this out and figuring out if my conclusions are
correct. Thank you!
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 42 7655772, ICBM: 60N 25E */