On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:54 +0200, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) wrote:
> Dwayne Bailey wrote:
>
> > Regarding the RFE.  My concern about treating text more intelligently is
> > that it can create problems.  The real solution is to get WordPress to
> > use UTF-8 and we're sorted.
>
> I can imagine that it can't be trivial to convert their PO creation
> tools to change entities to Unicode (in the PO files) and back to
> entities (from the PO files) again.

I wasn't sure if that was facetious or not :)

> > A quick hack might be to allow a Pootle
> > user to convert the string to proper text, behind the scene we store
> > their translation with entities.
>
> I prefer that a user has full control over what he types.  For example,
> I wouldn't want Pootle to convert my apostrophes to ".  The best
> solution for now, IMO, is to get the Wordpress people to put explanatory
> notes in the PO file.

Well considering that the comment would require editing text near the
problem and actually using the character that is now escaped it seems
like a lot more work then actually fixing the problem by simply using
the real character.

You will probably find it is a legacy of some programmer whose text
editor didn't handle Unicode who decided that this was the correct way
to do things.  If we just comment we are doing what the commercial
localisation industry does, they work around problems instead of fixing
them at their root.

If you have the time an approach would be to actually submit a patch
that changes the entities into real characters and see the response :)

--
Dwayne Bailey
Managing Director                               +27 12 460 1095 (w)