"A lot"? I suppose ...

Definitely not all.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

As for your kernel example, I'd say: you can have (corporate) money flowing around you in a number of different ways without profit being your End Goal. Conversely, you can have people dressed up like noble monks who turn out to really be ("end goal") about the cash. (Walk through downtown Sedona or Santa Fe!)

If someone claims to be about selflessness and freedom, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, until they prove themselves otherwise. But once they do, I'll judge them more harshly than I would someone who starts out an unabashed whore.

Because hypocrisy hurts the commons by breaking people's impulse to trust.