Ok, hope you can help.

My screen resolution is 1600 by 1200 and it should be 1920 X 1080. It's OK if I am just working with text but will surely want right proportions editing images or watching videos.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]
is my graphics card.

Maybe important, this is the monitor: HPw2338h

Went to https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/configure-2d-and-3d-graphics-acceleration to get this discouraging news:

The radeon driver, usually listed as free software, depends heavily on a non-free firmware blob that we strip from our linux-libre kernel. Support for ATI/AMD cards is weak, with no 2D/3D acceleration and modesetting problems.

Damn those blobs!

I once had a problem like this using a toshiba rezga 42" TV and googled enough to find an xorg.conf that somebody else in the same boat had contrived with success, so the fix was pretty much as easy as copying his config and moving the original config to .old and replacing it with the other guy's.

Haven't gotten that lucky this time.

my xorg.conf as it is:
Section "Device"
 Identifier "Default"