For those that think systemd is just an elegant modern init system, consider this from Potterings own blog:

"We want a unified solution that ultimately can cover updates for full systems, OS containers, end user apps, programming ABIs, and more. These updates shall be double-buffered, (at least). This is an absolute necessity if we want to prepare the ground for operating systems that manage themselves, that can update safely without administrator involvement."

Pottering wants systemd to even take care of updating your entire system, so you the end user or administrator never have to! Can you name one reason why an init system would do this, or even need to? "Prepare the ground for operating systems to manage themselves..." Really!