You do not need the third paragraph that is about getting a root terminal on your system without inputting any password (e.g., if you had forgotten it). Since you managed to execute 'sudo passwd' and the problem is not solve, I now see that it has nothing to do with the password.

It looks like your X server gets killed when you try to launch the desktop. There may be relevant information at the end of /var/log/Xorg.0.log that you can read from the terminal:
$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
You can as well copy (with 'cp') /var/log/Xorg.0.log to a USB key and show it to us.

You can try to add a user (named "banana" in my example) and see if you can graphically log with this user:
$ sudo adduser banana