> Marketing
What's the point of getting something widely used if people do not know why GNU/Linux exists, the raison d'être, so to speak. Otherwise, the existence of Chrome OS would be proof we have won. I want free software to be widely used. But I don't want it just to get some arbitrary market share because it satisfies the capricious whims of the consumers! The point is to give people freedom. My desire is for it to become accessible to disadvantaged people, and to be part of free, federated, autonomous associations, giving people back control of their communications. Why think of it like 'capital'? What about human beings?
> in a bubble
Pop the bubble then! Do your bit. Don't give up just because it is difficult. The issue is not some 'difficult' cellar-dwelling people stalling progress because they want control over their communications and work. The issue is society valuing consumerist qualities over stuff that actually matters. The issue is corporations wanting to opress people and succumb to the will of the government. Look, we need to be part of the change if it has any chance of happening whatsoever. Spread the word, but compromise fatally undermines how successful any action will be.