Learning Shell scripting by reading the manual is impressive! I would not recommend that approach. One can start with https://flossmanuals.net/command-line/ (but skip the "STANDARD FILES" section that should definitely be toward the end of "ADVANCED-ISH" or maybe even in "ADVANCED": certainly a "bug" in the manual). Then, to learn (almost) everything about Bash through examples: http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Manuals enter the same category as software. They are functional: works are (indirectly) achieved through them.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

In my opinion, GNU manuals are free as in freedom. They are under the GNU Free Documentation License... that allows invariant sections, which have non-functional content such as political statements (e.g. the "GNU Manifesto": the original reason for the invariant section clause). Those should not be modifiable. Debian disagrees: https://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001.en.html#amendmenttexta