Now I notice your argument changes slightly to be about interoperability, which is the first time you've raised that particular point and is different from modifications in general. I imagine it's because of what you've been reading. And yes, some places of the world have rules regarding interoperability specifically, which I imagine you now know from what you've been reading. So it is really going to come down to where the person is, what their own laws are, and perhaps most importantly - what they are doing and why. But regardless, the program in question remains non-free and the abilities you refer to rely on local laws to make legal. It also raises the issue in https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever-good-use-nonfree-program.en.html which, again, all point to it depending on specifics.

"I do not know what the gpl says."
Read it. It is no secret. It is available for everyone to see and know.