I wonder if they are aware of the issue at all. It seems they take it for granted that Adobe's offerings are the only way to go.

I think they should be told that there are people out there who cannot access their grants on other systems.

https://grants.gov/web/grants/applicants/download-application-package.html

What does it mean they are going to "phase out the legacy pdf application method"?

See the Apply for Grants page and Workspace Overview page. These pages provide instructions on the general application process and completing an application on Grants.gov using Workspace. If you plan to download and apply using the legacy PDF application method, please be aware this will be phased out in December 2017. Refer to the Grants.gov Notices page for more details. Before downloading, you need to ensure your Adobe software version is compatible with Grants.gov.