Thank you, everyone, for your swift replies and support in this issue.

I have chosen not to fight for software freedom. I appreciate the Trisquel project and I feel honored to use the software some of you guys provide. (That's the reason why I am a member.) However, I am not a developer but a medical doctor and also a medical communications researcher. I neither have the resources nor the knowledge to engage in the fight as some of you have suggested. That's why I'm looking for a pragmatic solution: I use a friend's computer to connect to the internet and, yes, I'm also using Acrobat because obviously the organization I apply with uses complex PDF forms to organize their applications. I don't feel responsible to change their policy.

However, I've already started to consider changing the distro -- back to Ubuntu, or to LinuxMint. The alternative would be to re-install Windows on my computer and have it parallel to Trisquel as /forest/ has suggested. (I just need to do the work I need to do, and I would like to cooperate with the non-free software world.) What are your thoughts on this matter? Which way would be a better support for free software development?

ADFENO, I think your suggestion to drop the application unless the organization "cooperates" is a little misplaced in this context. Would you change career plans because your operating system is not able to process a file you need to submit? Or could you provide me with an alternative funding of around 2,500 EUR for active participation in an international conference (30%-chance of getting the fund, that is) which I can apply for with free software?

Hope to read from you guys. Best regards

Florian