Indeed, the suggestions I gave might be unrealistic depending on
peoples' context.

Thankfully, as others have pointed out, you don't have to install
non-free software in order to do it, because you can borrow others'
computers to do it. But, as others suggested, make sure to tell the
provider of such faulty documents how DRM is problematic.

Also, depending on which organization you work for, there might be a way
to get the funds you suggested for guving speeches about free/libre
software. I found this to be common if one works for organizations
related to free/libre software activism.