Replicant phones have the option to use encrypted communication. But this requires for your contacts to be willing to use encrypted communication as well, and many don't care or at least are not willing to take the inconveniences. Hence regarding the communication it self, your flip-phone is probably as private as my Replicant phone (I use the Silence app, but non of my contacts do, so no encryption there). Still, we don't know what the software in it does or does not do with your communications.