I don't understand why a server isn't an option for you.

To me:
* people I communicate with are 99% on non-free providers. So my emails are compromised anyway. * from there, Openmailbox/mail server vs Gmail/Yahoo, not much of a difference, I suppose. Well, free software on a personal server is still better. But The server might take a bit more work, for no real gains. And the libre provider can still act use your data, in theory. * Encryption is the key (pun intended), but it's not easy to understand/use. Still the best option around.

Is my reasoning flawed somewhere?