Interesting. So the most common mail providers might not allow encrypted emails to pass?

To make sure we're talking about the same method, I'm talking about using something like Thunderbird instead of the Webmail.

A few more remarks:
* Both persons need to use a libre OS, but even then, at least the email provider can't read a thing. So that's already one GAFAM player out of the game.

* Indexation of encypted email doesn't work. But if not using the webmail, it shouldn't be a problem.

in a nutshell:
* I might misunderstand it, but I don't see the point of having a libre email provider, or even a personal email server (trusting the provider, communicating with non-free mailboxes cancels the point, even more if mails are fetch to the non-free OS, etc.).

* as for GPG, although it's (to me) the best way, it demands some preparation that most aren't willing to make, and that might be tricky (if using someone else's PC for example, or your smartphone). I guess that's where Tails comes into play (most people wouldn't make the effort of using it though). Setup on several machines, including smartphone and Tails, that's A LOT of work. Too tempting to simply connect to the webmail only to find that the encrypted emails are unreadable.

I guess I'll have to try.