The problem is that my brain was used to getting things easy. Probably they wanted to keep things easy for the user, so that he doesn't ask questions about software that he install on his machine. This is I believe Windows, mac, Ubuntu's philosophy. Keep it simple for the user and as hidden as possible.

I've tried to discuss these things with people around me and my conclusion was that they don't care about their freedom. They just want things to work and this is what others exploit.

If the Free Software Foundation were able to produce an alternative that is easy to use and also 100% free then the impact would be different.

I am trying to follow FSF's advice and try to contribute to existing projects but will be a long process for me because I lack a lot of knowledge at this point.

Thanks again for all your pointers, time and explanations!