Hi all,

I just came back from a turbulence on the email service provider I use,
so I'll try to answer the questions as best as I can:

1. I'll split it in two:

   1. Make packages appear as simple terminal commands: For this to
      work, the PATH variable must reference to important places inside
      "${HOME}/.guix-profile" (for clarification: "${HOME}" is [Your
      user's home], don't worry, the shell understands it correctly, you
      can even test it by doing "echo ${HOME}").

      To do so, edit the ".profile" file that is under your user's home
      (if it doesn't exist: create it), and insert the following text:

export GUIX_PROFILE="${HOME}/.guix-profile"
source "${GUIX_PROFILE}/etc/profile"
export GUIX_LOCPATH="${GUIX_PROFILE}/lib/locale"
export
GUIX_GTK3_PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE}/lib/gtk-3.0${GUIX_GTK3_PATH:+:}${GUIX_GTK3_PATH}"
export PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE}/bin:${GUIX_PROFILE}/sbin${PATH:+:}${PATH}"

      These "${[Some variable]:+:}" simply make sure that there is no
      ending ":" if "[Some variable]" is unset.

      Now, you can simply log out and then log back in (no need to
      reboot the computer), and notice that IceCat can be launched from
      the terminal using the `icecat` command.

   2. To make an application launcher appear in the menus, provided it
      does have a launcher file (I know IceCat does): For this we will
      once again edit the user's ".profile". This time, though we need
      to take some important notes.

      In a terminal, make it show us what is inside ${XDG_DATA_DIRS}, to
      do this, do: echo ${XDG_DATA_DIRS}

      This will show you were most applications will look for things
      such as launchers, text fonts, themes, and so on (besides the
      user's ".local/share" directory). We must take note of what was
      just printed/shown, I'll call this note as "Copied text".

      Now, edit the user's ".profile", and add, after the last line that
      I gave in item 1.1:

export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${GUIX_PROFILE}/share:[Copied text, without these
brackets]"

      Now, you can simply log out and then log back in (no need to
      reboot the computer), and notice that IceCat can be launched from
      the menus.

2. Already answered.

3. Evolution (email client) itself isn't packaged yet. The data server
   of it is. In fact, some packages depend on the data server to do some
   things.

4. Remove the package with Synaptic and install from Guix. Be careful
   though when removing packages using Synaptic. Thankfully, Synaptic is
   one of the package managers that makes it very clear what will be
   removed/updated/replaced/installed before doing anything.

   It's a good idea to simply copy the list of actions that Synaptic
   tells you that it would do, and post the list here in case of
   doubt. People here will probably know if some package will end up
   removing "too much" stuff.

   Optionally, you can start searching for each item in that list of
   actions, but this is not required.

Respectfully, Adonay.

Happy hacking! :)

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com