Compiling on the PocketCHIP using the config file for the existing kernel

/boot/config-4.4.13-ntc-mlc

creates deb files of form

linux-*-4.2.0-rc1-gnu_4.2.0-rc1-gnu-*_armel.deb

When I try to install 'linux-image-4.2.0-rc1-gnu_4.2.0-rc1-gnu-1_armel.deb' I get

package architecture (armel) does not match system (armhf)

Since I'm compiling on the PocketCHIP using the same configuration as the existing kernel, I'm not sure how I'm ending up with the wrong architecture. When I do the same thing on my laptop I get linux-*i386.deb, as expected.

In the (y/n/?) questions that came up during the build I did not see any that mention armel or armhf, and I don't see how the problem could be in the .config file.

I can't find any information on how to force armhf apart from cross-compiling, which seems like it should be unnecessary since I'm compiling on the same machine on which I want to install.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?