I was thinking the same, like having the main machine only on the local network. I have a similar problem as yours since my laptop has a nvidia discrete GPU that at the moment is disabled since I am running Trisquel 8 on it. I was thinking to use this laptop as a workstation, disconnected from internet, to make 3d modeling etc... by enabling the installation of the proprietary video drivers. At the same time I was thinking to install coreboot and Trisquel on my old mac book air 4.2, but it is a more difficult task to achieve since to access the firmware I need to build a special adapter and so on... End of the story I am still on Trisquel 8 on the main laptop doing rare 3D modeling using the s##### intel video card integrated on the processor.