> It is free unless you explicitly add the non-OSS repos.
I agree with you but still it is not 100% ensured free/libre, at any time they may include non-free..

> Where exactly did you read "I recommend"?
It maybe because of the sentence: "One of the most popular distros."

>Perhaps it would be a better idea people here to start reading more carefully and stop thinking in binary (free/non-free) because technology and everything around it is much more complicated than the recommendation and the stickers of organization X.

Are you referring to hardware vulnerabilities? (meltdows/spectre, intel, proprietary hardware, the other line of the wire, etc etc), FSF endorsed free/libre operating systems (softwares) still ensures that we will have privacy and security, but in the end it depends on your threat model.