"It's firmware, not drivers."

OK, I'm a little unclear on this. My understanding is that firmware is software permanently burned onto chip on the hardware (eg BIOS), while drivers are software parts of the OS that allow the kernel to communicate with (and thus "drive") the hardware. I further understood that while all firmware is proprietary, except perhaps in hardware made by the Open Hardware movement, some hardware works with libre drivers anyway. Where that's not the case, users must either allow proprietary drivers in their copy of the Linux kernel as binary blobs, or accept that they can't use that hardware with GNU-Linux.

Where am I going wrong here?