It's actually more or less a trivial issue overall given the significance of other abuses. However that said there are quite a few concerns around parking meters. As an example many newer parking meters demand a credit card, license plate number, or other information that the state or city has no business collecting. It's a privacy issue of a sort. It's one thing for someone to put up a security camera or film you on the street and another for the government to collect information about everybody. You might think it insignificant and maybe it is given all the data collection that goes on- but there are also other issues (and advantages depending on your particular objective that may not be apparent to the casual viewer) particularly with older drivers (and even young drivers really). Most people don't know what there license plate number is and for people who have physical and mental limitations it can be quite a chore to have to go back and forth between a parked vehicle and a parking meter. It's to such a degree that there is a significant loss in business in my town for business owners on the main street where these types of privacy invasive meters have been tested. People who are very much pro-big-government even are upset over the meters. And this is before we even get to the part about the cost of maintaining meter maids. There are already other systems in place to collect money for roads and things that don't involve a 30% added cost. It's a redundant unnecessary system that hurts local businesses. They also result in increased costs to tax payers from people fighting unjustly issued parking tickets in terms of court costs. Notice how much time it took from that video alone in my case. This was ONE ticket and not the TWO tickets I was fighting because one got thrown out right away. This also wasn't everything as there were multiple parts to the trial (pre-trail stuff) and city employees who had to file a complaint after the ticket was issued and a trial was demanded. Many hours from many city employees (two parking meter ladies for hours were taken off the street and paid for that time), a prosecutor, a judge, court employees, a balif, etc.

Why bother is probably more along the question you probably should ask. The reason to bother taking up this sort of an issue has nothing to do with the issue itself but rather it opens up the opportunity for attracting publicity and bringing attention to a movement (Free State Project) to other like-minded individuals (even cringe-worthy publicity can be good publicity for a cause where it drives the majority away if your objective is not the majority but a minority: see cringe worthy activism that led to publicity you could never afford to buy it would be so expensive - but is also hilarious and draws in attention of like-minded individuals who understand there is another objective and get the humor in it in this case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vQ5h8iWa0Q ) and also for gaining experience as a citizen in the courtroom without actually having any consequences of significance to worry about. If you want to develop the skills necessary to defend yourself from abusive governments and this is particularly important for activists then taking a $5 parking ticket to trial is a valuable lesson in learning about that abusive system. How do you defend yourself against lying scum they'll put up on the stand? How do you object? How do you get evidence thrown out? I won those parking tickets on technicalities and not because I was in the "right" in any legal sense. You don't win court cases because you are in the right. You win court cases because you outplay the opponent. The government is weak in that they don't expect you to fight nor be experienced or capable of defending against there lies. If you can provide evidence they can't deny they frequently don't know how to respond. Recording video for instance of an interaction with a police officer is a very smart move. Because when you get charged with a crime its rare that there is anybody able to challenge an officers testimony (lies) that the courts will believe and video is a defense against these lies they absolutely will tell and if they don't know how to respond which they probably won't you win. Most prosecutions are malicious. Most arrests and prosecutions involve no victim. It's just the state vs you for a fabricated crime against the dignity of the state. Maybe you believe there should be crimes with no victims but I don't.