On 2018-10-04 10:50 PM, onp...@riseup.net wrote:
> Operating systems are a lot more complex than "has systemd" and
> "doesn't have systemd". They were freezing, crashing, and just plain
> not working long before systemd came along, and the reasons are
> numerous and varied. I think there may be better ways to solve most
> problems than to throw away arbitrary components and hope that
> resolves them.
>
> I've never experienced the problem you describe, but I wonder if it
> might be at a higher level given that you can still move the mouse.
> What desktop environment are you using? MATE, LXDE, or something else?
> It might be worthwhile to try a different desktop environment and see
> if that works better.

Of course your right. I should try to debug this and/or ask for help.

So first off, disclosure, I have had a warning about my CPU fan from my
BIOs. It's intermittent, I have tons of cooling and the freezing does
not occur when I would expect a heavy load and the mouse still works and
the computer does not shut down but still, something I should mention to
be fair...

I am running vanilla Trisquel 8 with Mate. I installed VLC right away. I
had trouble with it and loaded a bunch of libraries to sort things out.
It turned out to be a VLC bug. I ended up uninstalling and using totem
again. A lot of freezes occur while watching videos but also compiling
programs and just at random. My compute never freezes on it's own while
I am away from it, it's always while I am using it.

This is the only valuable information I can provide so far.

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback.

As a side note... I am 42 year old but I might as well be 82 when it
comes to technology, GET OFF MY LAWN!. I work with scientific
instruments for a living and they just keep getting worse and worse.
Software also seems worse and worse to me. It seems like people are
always replacing old software that worked with new software that
doesn't. I am just not sold on the need for systemd and I am just not
excited about it. I would rather just walk away and debug without it in
the picture. Having said that, this is a fantastic project and if there
is anything I can do to help, I would like to.

Thanks