Thanks Chaosmonk for the details instructions. Is there a generic version of them on the wiki? If you want to get more people involved in Trisquel dev, it might help to make it very easy to find a list of entry level tasks like this, with links to detailed information on how to carry them out.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a crack at this. I often find myself grumbling about out-of-date apps in the Trisquel repos so it would be great to be able to help solve the problem. It will take me some time to carefully read your instructions and have a look at all the links. If I get stuck, I'll ask some questions here, and as you say, these sticking points can be used to improve the instructions for others.

I would appreciate being able to communicate with you on Jabber, Matrix, or the fediverse if you use any of these. My contact info can be found here:
https://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/danyl-strype/

(or if CoActivate is misbehaving, here: https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Danyl_Strype)