chaosmonk:
> Even if a package seems useless to you, you cannot be certain that it is not important to another user.

Fair enough. I'd definitely prefer updated to removed. But I do worry about distributing obsolete versions of software whose homepages make strong security claims that may no longer be justified in older versions. I'm particularly concerned about this as it applies to communications apps and their dependencies.

> The approach to backporting Linphone will be similar to that for bacporting Jami.

OK. I just found out that two time-consuming tasks have been taken off my plate, so I may be able to carve out some time for learning about backporting during the week.