>>when I release my click, I must be super careful not to inadvertently be hovering over something I don't mean to select

>Can you not just right click and release immediately, and then move your mouse to the option you want to select …

That's what I always TRY to do, but apparently my hand is too shaky, and/or the mouse's sensitivity to movement is too high. (I've just now looked at the mouse menu; sensitivity was already set to the lowest, but moving it to higher didn't have any noticeable effect – bug?) Ah, no, that is true but I just now realized the real reason must be this: Right-click anywhere on the desktop or in Caja, hold that click, don't move the mouse. In my setup (I tested with application font sizes 8 and 18), one menu item will ALREADY be "selected" (visually prominent; what's the proper word for this?), so your suggestion (right click and release immediately) will lead to that item being "confirmed" (carried out; what's the proper word for this?). In order to avoid such unwanted confirmation, one must be careful not to release the right-click prematurely; if you move the pointer out of the menu and then release, the menu will disappear; if you keep the pointer in the menu and release, that item will get confirmed. Which menu item gets selected upon menu pop-up seems to depend on proximity to the screen's bottom. I think there is no way to read a context menu without keeping the mouse button pressed (other than using the keyboard's "menu key" instead of the mouse).

I think nautilus and/or pcmanfm behaved in a similar way.

>… or click elsewhere/press Esc to cancel?

Unless I've misunderstood your question: Yes and no; I can move the pointer away BEFORE releasing the right-click, and this will "cancel" (cause the context menu to peacefully disappear), but then I can no longer read the context menu.

>Have you tried Control Center -> Keyboard -> Layouts?

Hah, I tried that now, didn't do anything for me (and I didn't expect it to):
I initially only had "German" (QWERTZ) layout, then added (via category "Russian") "German Russian (Germany, phonetic)" and "Korean" layouts. Logged out, logged back in. No layout indicator anywhere. Opened Pluma, tried various key combinations (Shift+Space, Super+Space, Alt+Shift etc.), each followed by pressing the key between T and U (i.e. where German QWERTZ has a Z), as I expected any change from a German layout to result in something other than Z. But I always only got Zs. No Y (as on a Korean QWERTY layout), much less any Cyrillic or Hangul, even though I used "Layout" → "Options" to set a Hangul key (which would normally toggle between Latin and Hangul). And still no layout indicator. Perhaps this would have been enough if I had Russian / Korean keyboard hardware instead of my German one.

>How are you locking the screen? Ctrl+Alt+L?

No, via menu. Solved this by setting a password via "Control Center" → "About me".

>If you only want to receive security updates and not other kinds of bug fixes, you can disable etiona-updates in Software Properties. If you don't want all of those LibreOffice localizations installed, you can uninstall them.

I see, thank you.

>Can you please state the bugs your consider to be most
significant here

Cool, thanks. I like how Trisquel doesn't make you jump through a Gargle captcha to report bugs.