Terry wrote:
> I believe Blaine, if I remember correctly, that the
> church in Jerusalem was the only one of all the new
> testament churches to have all things in common.
> It was not a pattern for us to follow.

Sharing all things in common should never be followed as some sort of
pattern, else it would be motivated by duty instead of love.
Nevertheless, I do not think that we should infer from the silence of
Scripture that other churches did not also walk in this pattern of love.
I have visited modern Christian communities who hold all things in
common, so I have little doubt that such churches have existed
throughout the centuries.

The idea of holding all things in common proceeds from the idea that
there are economic needs among us.  The Scriptures give us clues that
churches far away from Jerusalem, such as the Antioch church, probably
also walked by this principle.  For example, Galatians gives indication
of the influence of the leaders of the Jerusalem church upon the church
at Antioch, especially in relation to how they shared financially with
the poor.

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived
the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right
hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto
the circumcision. Only they would that we should remember the poor; the
same which I also was forward to do. (Galatians 2:9-10 KJV)

Paul also indicates that he understood the principles by which the
Jerusalem church held all things in common.  For example:

But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply
for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want:
that there may be equality: As it is written, He that had gathered much
had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack. (2
Corinthians 8:14-15 KJV)

So I have little doubt that other churches walked as the Jerusalem
church did in regards to holding all things in common.  I think it is
our modern mindset that simply likes to read into the silence of
Scripture our own culture and surmise that they were like we are today.
For example, when Mormons read the Bible, they tend to see Mormonism and
read that into the silence, whereas a Roman Catholics tend to see Roman
Catholicism and Protestants tend to see their brand of Protestant
practice.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.