John Smithson wrote:
>> I am educated by the Word;
>> I am entertained by history.

Judy wrote:
> Truly wisdom from above

Terry wrote:
> What a great line!!!! Is that original?
> Can I steal it?

Why is it that those who say such things always seem to be those who are
least educated in history?  I would take such comments more seriously if
such statements came from historians.  I am not saying this as a jab,
but to express my incredulity after reading these recent posts.

The truth is that history is a body of knowledge from which all of us
interpret and understand truth, including truth found in the Bible.
History is the record of the experience of others.  The Bible's
foundation is history, so to say that history is for entertainment is to
say that the Bible is for entertainment.  If someone is going to start
arguing that Jesus did not exist, that David did not exist, that Moses
did not exist, that Abraham did not exist, that the genealogical records
of the Bible are fictitious, that Jerusalem did not exist... come-on.
Such reasoning is ludicrous and is going down the wrong path.  To argue
that the acceptance of these historical facts is merely entertainment
and not education is walking down the path that would consider anything
material and experiential as having no basis in reality.

Kevin has made several arguments about how the Book of Mormon has no
historical basis and therefore should not be trusted.  If we accept the
idea that history has entertainment value but not educational value, we
completely demolish Kevin's argument against Mormonism.  Can't you all
see that?

Everybody reads the Bible and interprets words from their experience.
If we read the word "prayer" in the Bible, we understand that from our
own experience of prayer.  If we are educated in history, then we might
have a more enhanced understanding of what prayer was actually like when
it is mentioned in the Bible.

Now I certainly will agree that historians slant their presentation of
history, but that is not a reason to ignore history.  It is a reason to
broaden our study of history to include other historians.  It is a
reason to temper our historical knowledge with a trusted source of
knowledge... the Bible.

Knowledge is NOT the enemy of the Word of God.  Knowledge is a friend
and companion of Truth.  Knowledge is not for entertainment.  Knowledge
gives us understanding of our own personal history and gives us light.
To reject knowledge is to choose darkness.  To appreciate knowledge,
especially historical knowledge, will lead us to wisdom and truth.
Jesus and truth are inseparable in my mind, and this leads to an
understanding that knowledge and Jesus is inseparable.  To posit that
history is entertainment is to posit that knowledge is entertainment
which equates with the idea that truth is entertainment and that Jesus
is entertainment.  Certainly Jesus and religion and history is
entertainment for some people, but not for me.  More importantly, I do
not think there is any Biblical justification for treating historical
knowledge as entertainment.

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and
unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the
acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
IN WHOM ARE HID ALL THE TREASURES OF WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE. (Colossians
2:2-3 KJV)

And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are
full of goodness, FILLED WITH ALL KNOWLEDGE, able also to admonish one
another. (Romans 15:14 KJV)

But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much
patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in
imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; By
pureness, BY KNOWLEDGE, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy
Ghost, by love unfeigned ... (2 Corinthians 6:4-6 KJV)

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; AND TO
VIRTUE KNOWLEDGE; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance
patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly
kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in
you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor
unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8
KJV)

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.