Thank you for your concern, Judy. I believe it is heartfelt. I am aware of no stated mission in life to integrate natural science with theology. None at all. They see Aquinas as part of the problem just like you do. Thanks again for your concern.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 6:24 AM
Subject: [TruthTalk] Calvinism

Bill, Lance and all:
I believe I am understanding a little more about what is going on here (some of us are slow) and what you are up to is not all that different from what U2 are doing.  You approach God's Word through a certain mindset or tradition which ironically is what you have been accusing me of doing.

BT: We all approach God's word through a certain mindset, through the tradition(s) of our life. How many times have I said we all bring something with us to the text? What I am advocating is twofold: 1. be honest enough to admit that; and 2. prayerfully seek to read past that mindset to God's Word.

Torrance, Polanyi et al's stated mission in life is to try and integrate natural science with Judeo-Christian theology which is similar to what Thomas Aquinas was involved with when he tried to blend scripture and the wisdom of Aristotle (which is like trying to blend oil and water). The RCC made Aquinas a Dr. of their Church which promptly slid right on into the dark ages.  Have we learned nothing?

I note that some of you are locked into Torrances revelation of the incarnation his relational theory. Why follow him when we have the Words of the Creator of the Universe which are Spirit and Life along with His Spirit who indwells us and leads us into all truth.

Why must the two (Torrance's incarnational view and the Words of the Creator) be mutually exclusive? Is there even a possibility that your mindset and tradition(s) prevent you from seeing the connection? Again, Judy, I appreciate your concern. I really do believe you care about us.

 I have nothing against any of the Sciences - they are fine in their place but God has redeemed us so that we can be oracles for Him in this earth and He is Spirit.  There should be a division between those who serve Him and those who are oracles for the adversary and any so called discipline where the regenerate and unregenerate are seeing and saying the same thing is not from Him and is against the teaching of His Word.

"Keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profance and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called which some professing have erred concerning the faith."

Grace be with thee,  judyt

From: "Wm. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
David writes to Jonathan   >   I agree that the passage is speaking about something undone for all men in Christ.  Just as Adam condemned all of mankind and brought the prospect of death to us all, so Jesus Christ undid all of that and presented all of mankind with a gift that would result in the justification of life.  However, as you have agreed in other posts, this does not mean that all men are automatically afforded this gift, but rather it is apprehended by those who would put their trust and faith in Christ. ... So I accept your point that Christ died for all, and that his gift is for all, but that does not mean that all have received the gift of life that is found in Christ.  The real thrust of these passages is that Christ undid all that Adam had done.

To the contrary, David, I believe this passage does mean that all receive the gift of life and that this gift is automatically afforded to us all whether or not we put our trust and faith in Christ. The Scriptures speak of two deaths. The first death is defeated in Christ's resurrection. We all share in the victory of Christ's victory over sin, death, and the devil. "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again" (IICor 5.14-15). We all live because Christ is the justification of life. The first death is therefore not the problem. We all share in Christ's resurrection. We are all called to live this life in faithful obedience to him who gave it to us.

How then does this view differ from "universalism"? Keep in mind the second death. Before considering it, however, let us talk about those among us who die in infancy or childhood or early adulthood (?) before having placed their faith in Jesus Christ. I have to tell you, David, this speaks to the one thing which disturbs me more than anything else: Christians who make faith a necessary prerequisite to salvation are really quite inconsiderate. Either they are noncommittal and thus have no words of comfort for those who have suffered the worst imaginable loss, or they hold to some sort of second, unspoken gospel which does not include their prerequisite, or they themselves hold out no hope for children who die without faith. Whatever the case, it is terribly sick and sad. There is good news for those who have lost a child, and that good news is imbedded in the Gospel and that Gospel is right here in these passages.

The question is, do these young ones go to hell when they die, and this because they failed to believe in Jesus Christ? I say absolutely not. They are secure in Christ and we can be sure of that. Their security is absolute. They are eternally secure and this is because it is not faith which saves them -- or anyone else. Therefore, a lack of faith cannot send them to hell. Jesus Christ saves period! -- not faith, not repentance, not baptism, not sanctification, not works: Jesus Christ alone. And he saves these little ones. His faith, his repentance, his baptism, his sanctification, his works, his vicarious nature: He saves us all. The passages under discussion -- Rom 5.12ff and IICor 5.14-21 -- make that abundantly clear. These young ones are secure in Christ and we can know that, because they have done nothing to reject him. And there's the key. The first death, their death, is swallowed up in victory. Resurrection to eternal life is theirs in Christ.

It is the "second death" that damns people to hell. Those who suffer the second death are those who lose their salvation, the very salvation provided them in and through Christ's life, death, and resurrection. These are those who volitionally reject Jesus Christ. These are those who trample under foot the Son of God and regard as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified. They insult the Spirit of grace. They blaspheme the Holy Spirit. They commit the sin which leads to death, the unpardonable sin. Because in their rejection of Christ they deny the Lord who redeemed them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. These are those who do not overcome. It is not then just the absence of faith which sends people to hell, it is the outright rejection of Jesus Christ that damns them.

NKJ Revelation 2:11 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death."

NKJ Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

NKJ Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

NKJ Revelation 21:6-8  And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."