Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

michael douglas wrote:

David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

John wrote:
> I don't understand this observation. Doesn't the reality of hell (whatever that is) exist apart from our consideration? Why would God punish us for being  wrong in our understanding of eternal judgment.  And if we have to think correctly on this subject, would not correct thinking be >required about all  of biblical doctrine?

David M wrote: Faith is based upon knowledge. We cannot just make-up whatever kind of Jesus we think would be nice and then believe in that made-up Jesus. (I assume that you are asserting this regardless of who comes up with the concept of Jesus one is believing in...)
When we believe in Jesus, we abide in his doctrine and in his message.

If Jesus taught that there is eternal judgment of the sinner, and we say, "I don't believe that," then we really don't believe in Jesus. We can't believe in Jesus and not believe in the teaching of Jesus.

Michael D: David, It would be interesting to see Dave H's response to these   pronouncements.

DAVEH:  I haven't been following this thread too close, so I may not fully understand what comments you are expecting of me, Michael.

Michael D: My main reason for anticipating your response is in the light of David not categorically alleging that your concept of Jesus prevents you from achieving eternal life (as far as I remember in past discussions) whereas others affirmed just that. The statements in view from him here, however, seem to have serious implications for LDS hopes for any salvation if their status remains quo (based on his stated position).

 However, it does seem to me that there is such a diversity in opinions as to what various Christians believe about the doctrines of Christ, let alone about the nature of Jesus and God.....well, I'm not sure many Christians actually agree on all points.

Clearly, we don't.

So......if Christians think they can be saved by their belief in Jesus, then they must surely believe that congruence of belief (and understanding and keeping his commandments) is not necessary for salvation.

Congruence is not necessary for salvation (as you would have read on TT before).