Judy wrote:
> I'd lay Calvin's ideas aside entirely and trust the
> Holy Spirit to reveal God's Word to you. Where
> in scripture does this idea of "wooing" originate?
> I don't believe I have ever seen it.

John 6:44
(44) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him

What Bill is talking about is not "magic."  It simply refers to the fact
that God's grace is necessary before a person will believe in Christ.  The
working of God's grace is through the Spirit of God to woo or draw that
person to believe the gospel.

John 6:44 speaks about a working of the Father upon a person before that
person will be in a place where he can respond to the gospel and follow
Christ.  When Peter professed Jesus to be the Christ, Jesus said, "flesh and
blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven"
(Mat. 16:17).  This again speaks of a working of God within the person that
goes far beyond any preaching or teaching that turns that person to the
Lord.  This passage speaks about an inward revelation working within the
person.  1 Cor. 12:3 also testifies to this, saying that no man can say that
Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.