I don't know about the "bathed in prayer" part because they were constantly banishing each other. It was the beginning of the Church/State merger era when (because of Constantine) the Church began to wield the power of the heathen state which was never the will of the Lord who said "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars ...." "My Kingdom is not of this world..." and so began the most shameful era in the annals of Church history.  As for the hereticks.  How was Arius any worse than those proclaiming orthodoxy?  You see the fruit of orthodoxy in the RCC of today with all of it's blasphemy and error and in the bloodshed and hatred between Serbs and Croats during WW2 and to this present day.  So No, I don't trust creeds or orthodoxy to discern or to lead me to truth.  jht