Dave Hansen wrote:

Terry Clifton wrote:
Charles Perry Locke wrote:

Dave,
  Read the Bible, Dave. It tells it all.
Perry

Sounds like good advice, Dave.  I wouldn't dismiss it lightly.
Terry
DAVEH:   OK Terry......rather than dismiss this lightly, let me hear your explanation of hell.  Do you believe it is a literal lake of fire into which those who don't believe in Jesus are tossed to suffer a physical punitive torture forever as do some TTers?   Or....do you believe as Perry and I, that..............

Hell is separation from God for eternity. It may feel like a fire burning in you that cannot be quenched.

.........and that the accounts of it were symbolic?  In fairness to Perry, he implied that he simply doesn't know if it is literal or symbolic, because from his reading of the Bible his understanding of theology is not perfect.   I know you've read the Bible, Terry.......so I'm very interested in knowing your perspective on hell.

You really need to consult the experts on this one,Dave.  They can give it to you in Greek and Hebrew.  All I can offer is my understanding, which is........... Hell is where lost souls go at death.  It is a dark place where you can feel but you cannot see.  Whatever passes for a body in Hell will be crawling with worms, either internally or externally, in constant torment.  The only sounds will be the screams of other lost sinners and whatever noise that demons make.  It is a holding place until Jesus returns in judgment.  At that time, Hell will be emptied and it's contents thrown into a lake of fire, possibly like molten lava, but since the soul is eternal, it continues to suffer through eternity.
In short, Hell is a bad place, and once you know how bad it is, you get some idea of how serious it is to play games with Jesus.  It is a terrible thing to incur God's wrath. I guess you would say that I take it very literally.
Hope this helps.
Terry